Guns ’n’ Liberals
How do liberals expect to grab our guns? That’s one thing they never explain when, after an incident like the shooting at the Texas church, they start calling for gun control.
They’ll advance things like Dianne Feinstein’s 1994-2004 ban on “assault weapons” – which aren’t a real category, just a cosmetic description of mean-looking rifles. Her ban didn’t work anyway.
Or they’ll call for a ban on gun sales at gun shows. Or registering all weapons. But the only thing that really would have an effect is something the gun controllers really want, but almost never mention: full confiscation.
Liberals sometimes point to Canada and Australia, which have imposed serious gun bans. But America is a much crazier, and freer, country than those once-free lands. They separated from Britain peacefully; we did with a violent revolution. Our population is 10 times that of Canada, and 14 times Australia’s. Even before the recent influx of immigrants, we were more “diverse,” as it’s now called.
But, really, how would liberals go after our guns, of which there are well over 300 million? How would they go door-to-door to grab our weapons?
As even the liberal New York Times has reported, in Baltimore the police presence has been reduced because of political attacks on them, resulting in a surge in killings, mostly by guns. Let’s send in a battalion of liberal gun-controllers to straighten things out.
Keith Olbermann, the TV loudmouth, responded to President Trump’s call for prayers with this Tweet, “You pig, Real Donald Trump. If the shooter were a person of color or a Muslim, you’d be heading home calling for the death penalty.”
Apparently Olbermann didn’t realize the shooter already was dead, killed by – Olbermann will not like this – a brave citizen with a gun.
Here are some options for who would take our guns:
1. Your local police. In conservative areas, they won’t do it because they’re conservatives. In liberal areas, such as California, where I live, the police unions are so strong there’s no way they would allow their members to knock down doors searching for guns – and get shot half the time they tried.
2. Your local sheriff. The sheriff system actually goes back to the “shires” of Ye Olde England. The sheriff is the main enforcer of the “reeve,” or peace, in the shire; hence, shire-reeve/sheriff. In England, he worked for the king. Here, he’s elected by the people. So if he tried to grab guns, he’d be voted out of office posthaste. In liberal states, the unions of deputy sheriffs are strong.
3. State police. In most places their main duty is patrolling freeways, although they do other things, such as supporting local police and sheriffs. They also have strong unions in liberal states.
4. The U.S. military. It’s not trained to attack our own people. Except for the Marines, most of our troops are not even trained for combat, but for support, intelligence, etc. As to combat troops, they’re mostly deployed overseas, so the Establishment would have to end the foreign wars, which it doesn’t want to do. If you sent the troops to grab domestic guns, they would fail to re-enlist. A draft? Impossible. Youngsters would bring back Vietnam-era protests, joined by their gray-haired, hippy grandparents decked out in old bell-bottom trousers and granny glasses, now age-appropriate.
5. FBI, CIA, IRS, DNS, Marshals and other federal agencies. There aren’t enough agents to go around. And they’d have to be taken from their current duties “to harass our people and eat out their substance.”
If Olbermann, Feinstein and the other liberals want to take our guns, why don’t they propose doing it themselves? There must be many tens of thousands of liberals who have called for gun control in public, like those two, or on Facebook, Twitter and other social media. How about if we draft them and send them going door-do-door?